Saffron: The Golden Spice of Persia and Where to Buy It Online.
Persian saffron is one spice that has been praised and promoted for its original taste, aroma, and appearance over the years. However, today, with several types of saffron available on the market, it may be hard to draw the line between original and fake. So, what differentiates an original from a fake saffron? Where to buy it online without getting low-quality alternatives. Let us explore the real qualities and features of authentic Persian saffron.
What is Saffron and its Different Types?
Saffron is both a food spice and coloring agent derived from the Crocus sativus flower, or saffron crocus. The crimson threads are collected and dried to be used either to season or add color to food, add scent to perfumes, or dye cloths. Saffron has a unique, exotic aroma with a bitter taste that makes food and beverages colorful and flavorful. Several Mediterranean and Asian dishes like rice use saffron to enhance taste, aroma, and edibility. There are several types of saffron, including:
- Sargol saffron is known for its unique pungent color and aroma. Considered the purest, Sargol has higher levels of crocin, picrocrocin, and safranal.
- Super Negin, whose quality is the best in the world, appears to have long and relatively extended stalks.
- Negin saffron is often cut at the end of the stamen, where the stigma is trifurcated into three Sargols. It requires care and time. The saffron has low potential for ripping from the strands as they are closely connected to each other.
- Poshal saffron threads include Sargols and yellow parts of the stigma above style. This saffron isn’t as pure as the Negin variety.
- Dasteh saffron threads have all parts of the stigma cut at 3–4 cm below the Sargol. This saffron's coloring ability is weaker due to its lower purity.
Key Qualities and Features of Good Persian Saffron
- Aroma: Inhale the aroma of saffron thread, as authentic saffron smells like hay and honey. Authentic Persian saffron tickles the nose. If there’s no aroma, there’s doubt about its originality.
- Taste: Trying saffron threads on the tongue reveals saffron thread authenticity. The taste is slightly bitter and pungent. Low-quality saffron is sweet in taste.
- Flame Test: On fire, original saffron changes to purple or orange if it’s pure and original. Yellow means low-quality saffron.
- Water Test: In water, real saffron turns yellow-gold as it floats.
- Physical Appearance: High-quality saffron threads appear dry, fine, and dark red with even-sized trumpet-like tops. Low-quality saffron threads look coarse, tiny, and irregular in size.
Main Applications and Uses of Persian Saffron. Where to Buy It Online.
- Saffron is used as a food and beverage spice with a yellow food coloring quality as well as a flavoring agent. It adds an attractive edibility and attraction to the foods and beverages it is added to.
- Saffron extracts are also added as fragrances in deodorants and perfumes or as dyes for clothing colors that give a unique look and appearance.
With keen knowledge of Persian saffron qualities, it’s easy to tell high-quality from low-quality saffron. And know the best places where to buy Persian saffron online.